Ford Mustang GT Performance!
The Black Demon
I purchased this 1982 Mustang GT used just out of high school and got the modification bug! The car was
stock when purchased with the exception of the LX 5.0 rims and P225 rubber. It only had 36,000 miles and
the engine was very strong. This was my first sports car and my first Mustang. I sold it when sneaking a
smog certificate became a pain and I needed a vehicle with more cargo capacity. I bought an Isuzu Tropper
(I know! It was a good truck, designed like an American vehicle and RUGGED) and that worked great for four
years until the speed bug came buzzing back. I decided on another Mustang and purchased the last of the
302's. That's another page however...Modifications (in order of installation):
- California license plate "US MUSCL" for U.S. Muscle (can't
believe this wasn't taken already!).
- Replaced stock clutch with Ford SVO heavy duty unit and large
- Replaced stock two barrel carburetor and iron manifold with Holley
600CFM four barrel carburetor and Edelbrock Performer 302 aluminum
- Cut open factory non-functional hood scoop and replaced stock air
intake assembly with high-rise air filter and chrome holder.
- Replaced stock valve covers with chrome covers. This was not a
planned swap but I cracked one of the stock aluminum covers.
- Replaced factory suspension with Ford SVO Series "D" heavy duty
coil springs. This lowered the car over an inch and really
stiffened up the ride. I also replaced all the shocks and struts.
When this modification was performed I had to install bushings to
restrict the steering so the tires didn't rub the fenders.
- Replaced factory exhaust manifolds and entire exhaust system. I
installed Tri-Y chrome equal length headers and a custom
fabricated "H" pipe two inch dual exhaust. I used three chamber
Flowmaster mufflers and no catalytic converters. Sounded VERY nice.
- Replaced factory 85 MPH speedometer with Ford SVO 140 MPH model.
Most of the replacement parts came from JBA and High Tech Performance. The
intake work was performed at SAMCO and the suspension at DualTone. All other
modifications were performed at home. When it was all said and done this car
left the line like a bullet and handled great. I really missed it once it was
This page is designed for 800x600 resolution or higher.
Return to The Ford Mustang GT Performance Homepage